The warm weather months have come and all the fashionistas store their warm sweaters, outwears and high boots till the next cold seasons. Every fashion lover is looking for the inspiration in the Fashion Week runways. And certainly soon the top trends of this season are going to appear in the fashion lovers wardrobes. One of the trendiest thing of spring and summer 2014 is pleats. Perhaps you think that ruffle and pleats are only for children, but that’s not right. Of course, there is a little connection of pleated pieces with school uniforms or secretary skirts but only not this season.
Pleated skirts are very feminine
Modern pleats are created with soft silk, chiffons and other amazing materials, they are always lightweight. As for the shades they can be very different – from gorgeous pastel versions (which are in the top of the popularity) to bright rainbow colours. They bring sweet notes to your wardrobe after the dark and dull winter outfits. The pleated skirts are very modern and feminine. Do you remember such a wonderful look of Lupita Nyong’o in the marvelous pleated blue Prada when she won the Oscar award? It was so beautiful. So if you want to look delicate and feminine look for the pleated dresses and skirts. When the temperature is not very high you can combine them with a light sweater and boots or airy blouse and sandals on warm days.
Pleats on the runways
Many designers from Haider Ackermann to Alexander Wang have shown different variants of the pleats in their collections on the runways.
- Lanvin’s Alber Elbaz have offered amazing pleated frocks in metallic fabrics detailed with brocades and lames.
- Viktor and Rolf, the design duo from Netherlands made a unique transformation of the schoolgirl uniform changing proportions and adding volume to outfit.
- Phoebe Philo was inspired by the photos of graffiti in Italy in 1930s. He combined pleated sheer skirts with colourful patterns and added some sporty elements to the outfits.
- Tomas Maier made an interesting collection of textured dresses and skirts detailed with many ruffles and pleats.
- Christopher Kane has shown his perfect knife pleat skirt made with opalescent fabric. It’s so beautiful.
- Alexander Wang has created pleated miniskirts which were very popular on the runways in New York.
Pleats are really the piece of spring and summer 2014. They can be paired with almost any garments in your wardrobe. Don’t forget about the colourful pallet and the weightlessness of your outfit. Finish your look with stylish flats or high heels and add some accessories.