Frida Giannini parted with the Italian fashion House in January almost a week before the planned presentation of Men ready-to-wear collection.
Frida is the Italian fashion designer who was born in Rome. She is known to begin her career working for another famous brand, Fendi. In 2002 she began to work for Gucci as the head of the accessories department. Several years later she took the position of the Creative Director of the House. Earlier this year she left the Italian brand together with her husband Patrizio di Marco, former Gucci CEO.
The House keeps silent about the reason for the departure of these two prominent figures. On the 12th of January 2015 the new president and CEO of the brand Marco Bizzari made an official statement after assumption of office in which he acknowledged the merits of Frida Giannini and her contribution to the preservation of Gucci’s heritage.
Long live to the new Designer
Alessandro Michele is a dark horse of the fashion industry. He is known to have been working at Fendi as an accessories designer together with Frida Giannini. In 2002 they both left Fendi and joined Gucci. In 2006 he became the creative director of leather goods department and 6 years later took the position of associate director. In 2014 more than a year after the acquisition by the House of a Florentine porcelain producer Richard Ginori 1735 Michele was appointed a creative designer of this newly purchased brand.
The first changes under the new Creative Designer are mostly evident in social networks and official invitations to the Show. One could notice that golden ‘G’ Facebook avatar has turned into interlocking ‘G’ logo highlighted in black on the blush background. What concerns the invitation cards to Milan Fashion Show, these has been printed on pink paper with the floral background. Thus Michele rendered Frida Giannini her due having preserved the iconic Gucci design – floral motif – that appeared in 60’s and was renewed by Frida in 2004. Still some people consider the design of invitation cards to be a hint on the new collection.
The Show – 10 pecularities
The first WRTW collection by Alessandro Michele was distinguished with innovations, such as men, who appeared on the runway with handbags and hairy shoes. Below you will find 10 most popular and discussable things about the show.
- Venue for a Fashion Show remained unchangeable, it took place in Piazza Oberdan
- Underground design became the leitmotif of the Show with the walls painted in red. The runway itself was designed as a square and the models walked on it around the visitors.
- The guest celebrity, Salma Hayek Pinault, appeared wearing a beret, resembling the one presented during the Show.
- Each guest saw on his seat a piece of paper with the citations from Italian and French philosophers. The Fall RTW collection was described as a bridge between the two periods of the House history, the era of Frida and the new age under the new Creative Designer.
- The songs by Abel Korzeniowski and Philip Glass were used as a mood music for the Show among others.
- Men shared the runway with women. Often they presented a look resembling that of a woman, from shirts and blouses to skinny suits.
- Most of the looks were added with the full set of accessories, sometimes exaggerated, but still fashionable.
- Shoes of yellow kangaroo fur were matching some of the looks.
- Models with pink hair, just the two of them.
- Absence of star looks for red carpets.